|The Grand Finale!|
So, obviously this isn't being updated regularly. Life has been pretty crazy lately (in the best possible way) and so my baking blogging has taken an extended vacation. I still have a lot of baking love in my heart, so forgive the absence and enjoy this recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies!
One of my mother's favorite actresses of all time is Audrey Hepburn, (and she passed on that love/admiration of said actress to me). In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I would share a recipe inspired by a movie starring my mom's fave: My Fair Lady. This particular film is very important to me because it's one of two movies that I have the earliest memory of watching, (the other being Reservoir Dogs when my older brother babysat me, but...that's another story ;0) ). In the beginning of My Fair Lady, Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn) sings that all she wants is "lots of chocolates for me to eat" in a room somewhere among lots of other things that happen to rhyme perfectly in an opening number. Naturally I went and found something that would honor Ms. Doolittle's wishes.
There's definitely lots of chocolate goodness in this recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies. I adapted the recipe from the lovely Christina of Sweet Pea's kitchen. I made some minor adjustments to her formula, but either one you choose to follow should be yummy! Credit for the original recipe goes to her and it can be found here:
My adaptation of her decadent work can be found below:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 oz of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3-5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract (this can be found at Trader Joe's. Plain vanilla extract should be fine, too)!
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Grease the pan with either butter or baking spray.
For the Brownie Layer:
(1) Heat the unsalted butter and chocolate until melted. I used my microwave, although you can opt for the stovetop by melting the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over simmering water. The microwave is just as good, though, (and maybe faster)!
(2) Use an electric mixer to blend the butter/chocolate mixture with the cocoa powder and sugar.
(3) Add the egg and the vanilla. Whisk until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
(4) Add the flour and mix until completely blended. Make sure to scrape around the edges of the bowl to mix thoroughly!
Cover this bowl with saran wrap or aluminum foil and set aside.
For the Cookie Layer:
(1) Heat butter in microwave in another bowl. Use electric mixer to blend the butter with both kinds of sugar until fluffy.
(2) Blend in the egg and then the vanilla extract.
(3) Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Blend thoroughly with mixer.
(4) Finally, add the cinnamon and fold in the chocolate chips.
(5) Pour the brownie batter into the pan and smooth it out with a spatula.
(6) Use a teaspoon (and your hands) to roll clump-sized amounts of the cookie dough on top of the brownie batter.
(7) Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cookie layer is golden brown and a fork stuck in the middle of the brownies comes out clean.
(8) Let the brownies cool before serving them with a tall glass of milk! <3