|Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake, (how's that for alliteration)?|
Hey, lovelies! I found this fabulous recipe courtesy Two Peas & Their Pod:
The recipe is super simple, (I only made one adjustment: adding a little extra vanilla extract of course). I use Trader Joe's Vanilla Bourbon Extract and always enjoy the extra kick it gives! Here's what you need, (all credit goes to Two Peas & Their Pod, no copyright infringement intended):
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For cinnamon swirl:
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
(1) Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
(2) Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until completely blended. At this time, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 9 square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Use baking spray as needed.
(3) Add in sour cream and vanilla extract.
(4) Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to batter and blend.
(5) In a small cup, mix ingredients for the cinnamon swirl (cinnamon, brown sugar, granulated sugar).
(6) Spread 1/2 of batter for cake on the pan. Then, sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon swirl mixture and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips over this layer. Cover this with the remaining batter from the bowl and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon swirl mixture/chocolate chips on the top of the cake.
(7) Place in oven for 40 minutes, or until fork stuck into the center of the pan comes out clean.
I paired this amazing cake with a viewing of one of my favorite films, Beasts of the Southern Wild. If you want a little whimsy with your dessert, I suggest you take a peek at this beautiful film. Here's the official website, courtesy Fox Searchlight Pictures. Again, no copyright infringement intended!